Mary S. Hammons has been a teacher in the Knox County school system for 34 years.
She taught for 16 years at Flat Lick Elementary in grades 4th-8th, and in the after school Gifted and Talented Program.
For 13 years, Mary traveled to all Knox Co. Schools (1st-12th grades) teaching The Knox County Gifted and Talented Program.
She still volunteers her time to the youth of her community through the following activities:
- officiating Governor's Cup on all levels
- coaching and judging in Future Problem Solving
- Quick Recall Teams reading and judging
- plus various other after school / weekend activities and programs.
- Criminal Training Hours: 200 hours
- Managed Knox County Jail - Jan 2011 – Present
- Set policies & procedures to better serve the public
- Changes resulted in better service to public and inmates…
while decreasing expense to Knox Fiscal Court and the general public.
- First GED class held in Knox County Jail.
- Started Prime For Life Program…currently saving county almost $100,000.00 per year on average.
Mary is the daughter of James S. and Joyce Lefevers Stewart of Flat Lick, Kentucky. Mary has two brothers Jim Stewart III and David Ray Stewart.
Mary was married to Larry D. Hammons for 35 years. Larry served as the Jailer in Knox County. They have two daughters, Jennifer H. Carey and Rebecca Jamirae Hammons.
Jennifer is married to Brian D. Carey and they have two children. Jennifer has been a teacher at Girdler Elementary, and is now the Gifted and Talented Coordinator for Knox County. Brian is the Assistant Principal of the Barbourville City School Systems.
Mary's youngest daughter, Rebecca Jamirae Hammons, recently left Union College as the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Enrollment. She is currently the Graduate Enrollment Manager for the University of the Cumberlands.
- Bachelor’s of Science Degree in Elementary Education, 1977 Cum Laude Graduate.
- Union College: Master of Arts Degree, Elementary Education (1-8) 1980.
- Union College: Endorsement Resource-Teacher of Gifted Edu. 1985
- Union College: Rank I 1986
Knox County Schools
- Substitute Teacher 1975-1977
- Dewitt Elementary Teacher Spring 1977
- Flat Lick Elementary 1977-1993
- Gifted and Talented (After School) 1985-1991
- Gifted and Talented Fulltime 1993-2008
- Summer School Teacher Grades 4th-6th, 7 Summers.
ORGANIZATIONS / SPONSORSHIP
- Kentucky Jailer's Association
- Governor’s Cup Official - All Levels 20 years.
- Coach for Future Problem Solving Team High School.
- Coach for Quick Recall Team.
- Kentucky State Odyssey of the Mind Board 7 years.
- Odyssey of the Mind Coach.
- KY. Educational Professional Standards Board 4 years.
- KEA Member
- NEA Member
- Turkey Creek Baptist Church
- Member for the last 45 years
- Taught Sunday School
- Children & Adult choir director
- AWANA Instructor / Assistant
- Vacation Bible School Teacher.